Monday, September 26, 2011

West meets Mex

Because the egg-less egg salad that I had at the TVA volunteer party on Friday was so good, I decided to remake it (I also wanted to use up the freshly made tofu that my mom got from a Korean supermarket called Galleria. Let me just tell you this, NO other tofu, not even Sproutofu, can compare to this. The taste is just A-mazing.)

They make their soy milk and tofu on site. You can actually see them make it!

 I just put in whatever I think should be in an egg salad because I'm too lazy to google it. It tastes super similar! I brought it to school for lunch, and I paired it with pineapple salsa with some corn threw in. Usually when people have tofu scramble and salsa, the tofu is generally seasoned with Mexican spices, but this is the imitation of the typical mayo-laden western egg salad. Believe me, this combo tastes superb as well!

On a bed of spring mix and sugar snap peas

My 1st attempt Egg-less egg salad recipe

~ means approximately, because I like to eyeball ingredients

1 square/block of tofu, crumbled --preferably medium, firm might be too grainy
~1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise --you can use Vegenaise or make your own, which is much healthier-(recipe below)
~1 tbsp mustard
~2 tbsp nutritional yeast
~1 tsp each garlic and onion powder
~1-2 dashes of:
  • curry powder
  • cumin powder
  • turmeric powder
  • dried dill weed
  • cayenne--if you like it hot, like yoga
  • Black pepper
  • Salt/ume plum vinegar/braggs
Mix everything into the crumbled tofu. Even your cat can do this.
Play around with how much spice you put in to suit your own taste bud. For fun, I also threw in some pitted chopped olives.


 As promised, The Mayonnaise recipe:

  • -1 block silken tofu
  • -1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • -1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • -1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • -1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • -1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • -1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend everything except the olive oil in your food processor until very smooth. With the blender running, pour in olive oil from the top until completely mixed in. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment